Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Sriharsha Karamchati Kicked Out of Nmap GSoC for Cheating

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 10:24:44 +0200

02.07.2014 05:08, Fyodor:
Hi folks.  I'm sorry to report that we had to remove Sriharsha Karamchati
from the Nmap GSoC program after he was caught cheating :(.  It turns out
that most of his coding samples were blatantly plagiarized from others and
he apparently can't program at more than a very elementary level.
 Sriharsha even convinced a real IPv6 researcher to send him
pre-publication research, which Sriharsha then submitted to us as his own
work after removing the true author's name from every single slide.  The
saddest part is that we had to reject many worthy, talented and honest
applicants who could have done great things with the position.

The only good news is that, of the 68 students we've mentored during our
decade in the GSoC program, Sriharsha is the first one we had to remove for
cheating.  Let's hope he is also the last!

Cheers,
Fyodor

That sucks! I have to admit that I had strange feelings about his
copying of many parts of mine and sophron's GSoC proposal, but we both
decided that it's probably within "fair use".