Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat-test.py?

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 12:36:50 +0100

How do you plan to run multiple server tests in parallel? They all need
to listen on different ports. A proposal we had on the list, which I
think is a good one, is to add support for "ncat -l 0" to listen on any
free port, and have the listening port be written to stderr in a
machine-readable format so the test program knows what it is.

David Fifield

ncat-test.pl assumes that 31337 is free to be open. My idea is to extend the
assumption to a range of ports and assign each test a port that it should be
allowed to use via the ncat_test decorator, passing it during test execution
as a test argument.

Then, we'd run ncat -l only on tests that test if ncat -l defaults to 31337
and specify a different port for all other tests.

By the way, I like the ncat -l 0 idea as well. Am I free to implement it? BTW,
I was thinking of sending the port number to some other user-specified FD
number instead, in a "%d\n" format, instead of some "Listening on %s:%d\n"
which would require a regex to parse.