Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Bulk] Re: [Patch] Upgrade libpcap to 1.5.3

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 15:19:16 -0600

On 02/27/2014 02:55 PM, Gisle Vanem wrote:
why does Nmap and chums needs it's own "port" of libpcap? Any insiders who can answer that? The offical libpcap works fine here anyway.
Gisle,

I think there is a desire for Nmap to build cleanly "out of the box" with as few external dependencies as possible, hence the inclusion of libpcre, libpcap, and liblua. I haven't looked at the patches, but I would suspect some of them were to work around known bugs in the version that was included. Generally, these bugs should be forwarded to upstream, though.

The exception to the "self-contained" notion is OpenSSL. Nmap should build cleanly without it, but it makes version detection nearly useless nowadays.

Dan