Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: crash report

From: "ITS" <ITS () ConniesPizza com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 03:02:06 -0500

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 01:24:30AM -0500, ITS wrote:
The scan was retried with nothing else running and after a fresh boot.
RAM use never went above 6G on a 32G system. Attached is the
screenshot of the crash.

I can breack the 172.16.0.0/12 scan into 4 parts of /14 each, however
when it comes time to do the 10.0.0.0/8 scan breaking into units of
/14 will take forever in terms of human monitoring and intervention.

Let me know if I can enable any debugging or logging features to
assist in resolving this. I am happy to help any way I can..

You will be better off, in this case, using the command-line Nmap rather
than Zenmap for these big scans. Zenmaps keeps information about the
whole scan at once in memory, while Nmap uses only enough memory for a
few thousand hosts at a time. You can save the results to an XML file
(-oX option, http://nmap.org/book/output-formats-xml-output.html) and
open the XML in Zenmap later, after the scan is finished.

David Fifield

Thanks for the advice. Just to be sure I fully understand - is adding -oX <filename> to the command line within Zenmap
going to fix the issue by directing XML output to a file, or do I need to dispense with Zenmap entirely and just run
the command line?

Thanks.

John,