Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: crash report

From: "ITS" <ITS () ConniesPizza com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:50:43 -0500

2013/8/16 ITS <ITS () conniespizza com>:
Version: 6.40
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "zenmapGUI\ScanNmapOutputPage.pyo", line 239, in _selection_changed
  File "zenmapGUI\ScanNmapOutputPage.pyo", line 270, in _update
  File "zenmapGUI\NmapOutputViewer.pyo", line 303, in set_command_execution
  File "zenmapGUI\NmapOutputViewer.pyo", line 328, in refresh_output
MemoryError
Hi,

looks like your machine ran out of memory. Were you conducting a large
scan? If so you might want to split your scan into several smaller
ones (see -oX to save the result to a file) and process the output
afterwards. Alternatively, you can switch to a machine that has more
RAM.

Regards

--
Henri

Thanks for the advice. I split the large scan into 3 smaller units and monitored RAM use. The 32G machine never used
more than 6G for all processes combined at any time, but the smaller scan stopped about the same time again, this time
without error report I could send you. MS Windows just reported the nmap front end had a problem and had to close and
offered option to report the issue to MS, which I did.

Not sure what to do now. I can split into even smaller units but given the point where problem arose this time it would
appear my original scan would need to be divided into 100 smaller sections or more. That gets tedious and requires a
lot of human monitoring to start a new scan whenever one finishes.

Anything I can do to provide some debugging info for you to help solve this?

Thanks.

John,