Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: http-changelog.nse script and GSoC participation.

From: Jesper Kückelhahn <dev.kyckel () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 23:56:23 +0200

There is already a http spider implemented in lua that you could use, but I'm not sure how effective it will be since
there might not be a link to the change log file. Also, since you are already matching specific files (that is their
md5 sums/fingerprints) you most likely also know their exact location. Currently I can think of three approaches:

1) specify the location of the change log file along with its fingerprint
2) create a generic list of know locations for change log files in general, request them all and compare their md5 sums
to all of your fingerprints
3) spider the application to find directories, and use those as prefixes for the change log file locations from either
1) or 2).

All three have merits, but it depends on what your requirements for the scripts are. If it needs to be quick and not
that intrusive, option 3 is probably not the right choice, as it will generate a lot of traffic. However, if this is
not an issue, it will most likely be the most precise solution.

Regards
Jesper