Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap GUI redesign task for GSOC2013

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 22:55:01 -0700

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 02:06:54PM +0000, Костадин Хаџибанов wrote:
Some things to get insight from the mentors for the design plan: - Is
there a desire / how strong is the interest to introduce the program
to a new userbase. - Extensibility, what new features are planned for
the future, etc. - How drastic changes would the redesign allow.

I'm open to big changes in the Zenmap interface. We're nto married to
how it works now. However, how it works now is really not too bad. A
radical new design would have to show advantages.

I also discovered that tabbed scanning was once a feature, but no
longer is. What was the reason it got removed?

Multiple scans in one view are combined, as if they had been one scan
initially. Check this: http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-scanning.html#aggregation.
The tab bar was also takign up space in what was already a
not-too-efficient layout.

See http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/Nmap/ZenmapInterface for a very old
picture of how the interface used to look.

- The Host Viewer dialog from the Topology tab displays redundant
information with other tabs (except for the traceroute tab) Possible
solutions: - Topology moved to top level tabs, add Filter Hosts button
in Hosts Viewer.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y427/hadzhibanov-kostadin/zenm13_zps24049f32.png
- Or, Traceroute to second level, remove Hosts Viewer from Topology.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y427/hadzhibanov-kostadin/zenm16_zps03326462.png

The topology tab was originally developed as a separate application
called RadialMap, which explains the duplicate functionality. I agree
that it would be better to show the information in the same way every
time.

I'm sorry I didn't answer all your questions, but as you have submitted
your proposal, mentors can comment on it there.

David Fifield