Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google Summer of Code 2013 (Feature Creeper and Bug Wrangler)

From: Usman Zaheer <usmanzaheer53 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 19:58:01 +0500

Hello,
        First of all, I am really sorry that I could not reply back for a
long time as I had to meet the deadlines for 3 of my course
projects/assignments. My semester ends at May 21. However, I have been
continuously following the Nmap-dev mailing list and trying to brainstorm
ideas and potential challenges for my proposal during this time.

Kindly note the following:

(1) Firstly, regarding the "Exploring port scanning from within NSE"
project, I need suggestions about whether we are going to implement modules
in lua only as part of NSE modules? Further, as it turned out from a couple
of discussions at the Nmap IRC channel, we can potentially add a
script_port_scan phase between NSE prerule and portscan phase. Currently, I
am thinking about how and what can we leverage from the functions already
performed in portscan phase. Any further suggestions?

(2) Secondly, I am interested in the following idea from Nmap TODO which
was also discussed in Nmap mentors meeting and according to Fyodor it's
quite challenging and he was skeptical about assigning it as GSoc project.

"Consider re-architecting Nmap to have more of a scanning pipeline

approach rather than fixed sets of hosts which start and finish one
phase and then move into the next in parallel.  This could potentially
allow us to add hosts one by one to a phase as other hosts finish that
phase and, ideally, the phases could run in parallel too."

Although it was not decided in the Nmap meeting about whether this
project can be divided into smaller chunks, I will be glad to atleast
start some work on this during the summer and then continue with
completing it afterwards. Any suggestions about what can be the
possible smaller chunks?

(3) Is it okay or too ambitious to aim for one of the following combinations:

(a) "Exploring port scanning from within NSE" + some part of the
project mentioned in (2).

(b) "Exploring port scanning from within NSE" + "XML parser for NSE"

(4) Finally, because the "Exploring port scanning from within NSE"
project has some exploration part associated with it, will it be best
to provide time line of my tasks in terms of features implemented. (an
alternative could be to mention what I will be exploring/coding
potentially at different points in time approximately).

Regards.

Usman Zaheer.