Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: <netdb.h> in nsock/src/

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 22:49:49 -0400

On May 1, 2013 4:19 PM, "Henri Doreau" <henri.doreau () gmail com> wrote:

2013/5/1 Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>:
"Henri Doreau" <henri.doreau () gmail com> wrote:
Waw, that terribly sucks! C99 designated initializers are neither new
nor GNU-specific... I didn't find anything on the web about proper C99
support by MSVC. Do you confirm?

My MSVC doesn't support C99 AFAICS. But is that important? What
other C99 features is required for nmap? The VC (v.16) as part of
VC-Express
2010 is the last free compiler to run on Win-XP. The free VC-Express
2012
requires Win-7. So should Win-XP users be excluded from compiling nmap?

Sure not, don't get me wrong: I was just wondering if enabling a
switch or something in the MSVC project file could have let us use
these nice initializers. It looks like it's not the case so I'll
remove them.

MSVC has terrible support for C99 in general. They are completely unwilling
to do it. This is one of the big reasons why Lua is very strict about ANSI
C compliance. :)