Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Revision of telnet-brute

From: nnposter () users sourceforge net
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:54:30 +0000

David Fifield wrote:
Let's hard-code it to be "\r\n". If you can find a server that doesn't
work on, then we'll make it configurable.

The reason I ask you to do this is that I don't want the extra
complexity for a feature that, to a close approximation, nobody will
use. I'm looking at the future maintenance costs.

If there were to be a script argument, it would be something like
eol=lfnul or eol=crlf.

OK. It is now hard-coded. The string is still defined as a constant at the beginning of the script so it should be easy
to revisit this functionality if necessary (without having to hunt through the code).

- Exposed the connection time-out value as a configurable parameter
(telnet-brute.timeout). It defaults to 5000ms.

Please use stdnse.parse_timespec for this.

Done

Can you explain the print_debug function? Why not use stdnse.print_debug
directly?

The local function is just a wrapper around stdnse.print_debug to make
sure that the messages are consistently prefixed with the script name,
without having to repeat the same code over and over.

Okay, but I don't understand the two branches inside the function. Am I
wrong, or is only one of the branches ever followed?

I was preserving the behavior of stdnse.print_debug, including the level being an optional parameter. I took this
feature out so the level now must be specified.

I have cleaned up the code a little more so that is why the diff is a touch bigger.

Cheers,
nnposter