Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Adobe CQ / Day CRX

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 01:30:11 -0800

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 08:43:23PM +0000, Chris Wallis wrote:
I've recently gained some experience with Adobe CQ and Day CRX (related web
application frameworks currently gaining popularity), and found that Nmap
does not correctly identify the services in certain cases.

Thanks for sending in these fingerprints. The best way to send them in
is to use the submission form at http://nmap.org/submit/. I've submitted
your two fingerprints.

Also something interesting about CQ and CRX is that by default they have a
Webdav server listening on the same interface as the HTTP server. This is a
security risk and should be flagged by Nmap, but at the moment the webdav
element is not being recognised on CQ, and on CRX the service is not even
being recognised as HTTP.

I have a CRX fingerprint to submit and I was wondering - as Webdav is an
extension to HTTP, and the service does not exclusively handle Webdav,
would it be correct to just submit it under the 'http' category?

It looks like we mostly list WebDAV as http in nmap-service-probes.

I have also developed two scripts which I think may be useful in flagging
insecure installations of CQ and CRX. One which detects webdav enabled on
the http service or ports used by CQ/CRX, and another which checks for the
default accounts. They could probably both be expanded upon but I thought
it would be interesting to get some feedback from the Nmap dev community
before I did any more work on them.

My impression is that adobecq-webdav-discovery is far too specific for
what it does. It might be nicer to have a script that detects any
installation of WebDAV, even if it's not CQ/CRX. http-options already
does this in a generic way, marking WebDAV methods as "potentially
risky."

The check for WebDAV seems a bit strange to me too; it checks for a 401
response, and then checks three different things to give a confidence
score. Do you ever expect the confidence to be anything other than 0% or
100%? Is there a benefit to having multiple tests? The script gives a
false positive when I run it against my router, which returns a 401 for
a simple request:

$ ./nmap --script=adobecq-webdav-discovery 192.168.0.1 -p80 -d
80/tcp open  http    syn-ack
| adobecq-webdav-discovery:
|_  Adobe CQ/Day CRX WebDAV enabled (0% confidence). Consider running adobecq-webdav-default-creds.nse

I don't think this script is useful on its own. The default credentials,
on the other hand, may be. However the default credentials script should
be a brute script, and should be written along the lines of the various
other *-brute scripts, using the brute library. I'd also be tempted to
just add the short list of credentials to http-brute, because people are
more likely to run that than something more specialized.

Do you have a link to documentation showing what the default passwords
are? How did you come up with the list?

David Fifield