Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Socket troubles: Too many open files

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:36:16 -0700

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 04:43:28PM -0500, Christopher Clements wrote:
nmap -A -sSUCV --script '(discovery or default or safe)' T:1-65535,U:(top
75 UDP ports)  --reason --open -oA nmap-output <targets>

I'm afraid I didn't look at the scan phase it was on (had kicked off the
scan and went home for the night).

I'm guessing this has the same cause as the error messages reported by
starlight,

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/889
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/att-889/nmap_crash4.txt

The log has the same "Too many open files" message appear during the
script scanning phase.

If you run with only -sS, do you see that any hosts appear to have all
their ports open? If you run with -sT in place of -sS, does the problem
go away?

David Fifield