Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap input list

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 09:48:10 -0800

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 04:44:18PM -0600, Daniel Garcia wrote:
Hello,

I executed nmap with a list of IPs as follows

nmap -sn -n -PE -iL input.txt -oX output.txt

The input file is one IPv4 address per line (in no particular order). I
from the 189 IPs, 7 return back no output in the XML. They appear to be
down. I can ping them using ping and also via nmap:

nmap -sn -n -PE -oX output.txt x.x.x.x

the "down" ips. If I sort the input list (unix command line sort)

cat input.txt | sort > input2.txt

and reissue the nmap command:

nmap -sn -n -PE -iL input2.txt -oX output.txt

All 189 IPs are up. Is there some undocumented behaviour related to the
input list?

No, it probably just means that unpredictable network conditions
prevented a few of the probes from being replied to the first time.
Sorting the list probably had no effect, and it was just the same as
trying the original list a second time. However, if you can make this
happen consistently, please let us know.

David Fifield