Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] New scripts vuze-dht-info, vuze-find-nodes

From: Gorjan Petrovski <mogi57 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:57:43 +0100

Hey guys,

Patrik, the library is so nice and clean. Wow!

Firstly I would say that probing such a large range of ports is a bad
idea for a service which is not that important (such as Vuze; feel
free to disagree with me, I'd love to hear your opinion). Furthermore,
it defies the rarity value of 8, as David once mentioned in one of the
backorifice probe threads [1].

I looked through the vuze dht specs and they're not as precise as the
bittorent ones. I need to mention that not all bittorrent peers were
DHT nodes, but looking through the vuze docs intuitively I'd say that
all vuze peers are vuze nodes, but this is not clear from the
documentation.

The bittorrent library/script was made as a method for discovery of
bittorrent peers and bittorrent nodes. In fact the reason there isn't
a bittorrent probe is because bittorrent too, like vuze, can run on a
wide range of ports. So I'd suggest finding out the way that vuze
get's it's initial node ID's or IP:Port's.

By a rule of thumb randomizing the ID would be the way to generate it.
I also think it's what the documentation says you should do. I presume
that randomizing the node ID and making several requests with
different ID's would get you different sets of nodes (in other words,
more nodes, which is what you want), but only an experiment would
confirm this because it is also not clear from the documentation. I
didn't understand if you tried this, but once you get your 20 nodes,
issuing FIND_NODE to each of them should get you more nodes. It all
depends on whether they return nodes closest to them, closest to your
ID, or closest to your IP. IP is worst, since they'll always return
the same 20 nodes.

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q2/124