Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] New scripts vuze-dht-info, vuze-find-nodes

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:55:10 +0100

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi> wrote:

I think the vendor id from vuze-dht-info should be added to the
corresponding version detection field. "product", I think it was
called.

Good point, I'll add that.

By looking at the code I get the picture that vuze-find-nodes attempts
to extract information about any connected nodes by trying out random
IDs. The bittorrent library does not work like this. Instead it lets
the user provide an ID as a magnet link or torrent file and uses the
ID to query the DHT. So the bittorrent library lacks support for
extracting node information by brute force, where as this script
doesn't support scans on specific IDs. I'll leave it up for discussion
which one we need, or if we should have both. I am a bit worried that
supporting one way for bittorrent dht, and another way for vuze dht
may confuse users.

To be honest, I don't understand all of this protocol or how it is ment to
work, but as far as I can tell several consecutive requests with the
vuze-find-nodes script gets the same list of nodes.

Cheers,
Patrik

--
Patrik Karlsson