Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Using --top-ports for UDP selection only?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:00:57 -0700

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:07:01AM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:

That is pretty much what I do.  I have a shell script with -pT:-,U:{a
bunch of ports}

It includes the Top 25 UDP ports and another 10 or 15 that I want to include.

My biggest problem with running nmap from a shell script is that
interactive mode doesn't work any longer and that's not something you
can fix.

Maybe use a shell alias instead so that interactive mode still works?
Or you could use a Zenmap scan profile.

Having a topX alias available for TCP and UDP independentaly would be
nice.  So would having a way to say topX but not Y and Z.

Yeah, maybe it would be nice if you could do "-p
T:top1000,U:top100,31337".  That handles the case where you want
different values for TCP and UDP, as well as the case where you want
to add specific ports to the top selection, but it doesn't handle the
"topX but not Y and Z" case.  Or maybe it could use the > marker, like:

-p T:>1000,U:>100,31337

Actually, '>' is probably no good due to shell escaping issues.
Perhaps a '+', like:

-p T:+1000,U:+100,31337

Or we could stick with 'top' rather than a single character.

Anyway, if someone suggests a good syntax for this sort of
topx-in-port-specifier feature and implements it, we'll definitely
consider integrating it.  The docs/refguide.xml would have to be
updated as well.

Cheers,
Fyodor