Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: disable valid IPv4 address check to allow scanning Hamachi (5.0.0.0/8) targets?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:38:43 -0700

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 03:30:19PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 02:51:21PM -0700, Brolin Empey wrote:
When I try scanning an Hamachi client’s 5.0.0.0/8 IP address, nmap
states “doArp can only handle IPv4 addresses” and aborts.  I know
this is because Hamachi’s assignment of 5.0.0.0/8 IP addresses is
unofficial, but it would be nice if the valid IPv4 address check
could be disabled so Hamachi clients and other hosts with
unofficially-assigned IP addresses could still be scanned.

I searched for a solution/workaround but only found discussions
about Hamachi’s unofficial IP address assignments, not any way to
scan Hamachi clients.

I do not think these details matter in this case, but I am currently
using nmap v5.50 on Windows 7 Professional IA-32.

There must be something else going wrong, because I can ARP scan
5.0.0.0/8 with

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 5.1.2.3 netmask 255.0.0.0
nmap -PR 5.0.0.0/8 --packet-trace

Does it work if you use the -S option to set a source IP address? (It
should be the address of your Hamachi interface.)

David Fifield