Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: http-waf-detect - Script to detect WAF/IDS/IPS solutions

From: Paulino Calderon <paulino () calderonpale com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:56:47 -0700

On 06/21/2011 04:02 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37:34PM -0700, Paulino Calderon wrote:
Hello nmap-dev,

     Here is my NSE script to determine if a http web server is
protected by a Web Application Firewall (WAF), Intrusion Detection
System (IDS) or Intrusion Prevention System (IPS). I'd be great if I
can get some feedback from users with access to other untested
WAF/IDS/IPS products.

description = [[
Determines if a web server is protected by an IPS (Intrusion
Prevention System), IDS (Intrusion Detection System) or WAF (Web
Application Firewall)

This script tries to determine if an IDS/IPS/WAF is protecting a
http server. To do this the script will send a "good" request and
record the
response, afterwards it will match this response against new
requests containing malicious payloads. In theory, web applications
shouldn't react to
malicious requests because we are storing the payloads in a variable
that is not used by the script/file and only WAF/IDS/IPS should
react to it.
If aggro mode is not on, the script will only do the minimum number
of requests (Most known/noisy vectors)

This script has been tested against:
  * Apache ModSecurity
  * Barracuda Web Application Firewall
  * PHPIDS
I think that this script will be prone to false positives as it is
written. A detection is flagged whenever the body differs, which could
be the case for every response on some web sites, like www.time.gov.

$ ./nmap --script=http-waf-detect -p80 www.time.gov --script-args http-waf-detect.path="/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8"
Starting Nmap 5.52.IPv6.Beta2 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-06-21 15:56 PDT
Nmap scan report for www.time.gov (129.6.13.35)
Host is up (0.093s latency).
Other addresses for www.time.gov (not scanned): 132.163.4.22
rDNS record for 129.6.13.35: www-04.nist.gov
PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http
|_http-waf-detect: IDS/IPS/WAF detected

In addition to testing against servers known to have an IDS, you also
have to test against some known not to have an IDS.

Take a look at the http.clean_404 function, which attempts to mitigate
this problem by deleting things that look like dynamically generated
text.

David Fifield

I think you brought up a solid point here, I missed that somehow. I added a call to clean_404 to address this meanwhile. I had to update http.lua to make that method accesible to the scripts.

On the other hand, after this update I tried it again and it turns out that time.gov is behind a WAF, you can test it manually by passing the string "/etc/passwd" :

It will block this request:
http://time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8?p4yl04d=cat%20/etc/passwd
But not this one:
http://time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8?p4yl04d=hello