Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on script documentation

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:34:20 -0800

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 03:50:34PM +0100, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
On Mittwoch, 8. Dezember 2010, David Fifield wrote:

If I remember some discussion correctly it was said it is
currently too trouble-provoking to offer a Feed service with NSEs because
the API changes too much. The only thing one can rely on
is that the NSEs delivered with a release are compatible with the nmap
of the very same release.

Or is Nmap meanwhile ready to offer a Feed service?

To some extent those are both correct.  The current situation is that
Nmap doesn't offer an NSE feed service and we only guarantee that
scripts will work with the version of Nmap they were delivered with.

Of course svn acts like a feed service to some degree.  Unix users can
generally just cd into their Nmap working directory and 'svn up; make'
to get the latest code and scripts.  Unfortunately that doesn't work
as well for users of Nmap on Windows, Mac, and many handheld devices
that lack a compiler.

Because of these limitations in the "svn up; make" update system, we
may introduce a formal feed for Nmap script and data files at some
point.  But deciding on the best way to do this will take a lot of
thought.  And we'll have to either add features for recognizing
incompatibilities (e.g. scripts which use features which aren't
available in the user's version of Nmap) or we'll have to include new
executables in the update feed too.

Cheers,
Fyodor