Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap Problem

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:17:07 -0600

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:27:52AM +0100, Rob Nicholls wrote:
You're right, it's something I regularly see if I scan the entire local
subnet and don't try to exclude myself. If I'm doing the default port range
I end up with a very long scan report full of "unknown" ports for my host
that gets in the way of the handful of ports I want to read about for the
rest of the subnet.

It's probably non-trivial, but would it be possible or preferable for Nmap
to omit/skip the scan report for the localhost? If it's skipped because
"Skipping SYN Stealth Scan against 192.168.1.16 because Windows does not
support scanning your own machine (localhost) this way" then it's always
going to show "unknown" for every port.

Yeah, a couple of options are to force -sT mode for localhost only, or
to allowed "unknown" to be an extraports state (so it would say "Not
shown: 1000 unknown ports). This is the only case outside of a code bug
that I am aware of where the "unknown" state can appear in output. I'd
welcome a patch for either of these. For the first, it's probably not
too hard because I think that localhost will already be isolated in its
own scan group. For the second, you would have to modify
PortList::isIgnoredState in portlist.cc.

David Fifield