Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Status Report for Drazen #14 of 16

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 15:27:46 -0600

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 03:29:16PM +0200, Dražen Popović wrote:
Accomplishments:
      * Started working on PIDL module which will generate MSRPC code
        for NSE. For now it generates interface definitions, structures
        and typedefs. What's left is to generate the actual stubs.
      * Contacted SAMBA developer Jelmer Vernooij which maintains PIDL
        and other MSRPC stuff that SAMBA uses. He gave me a few useful
        tips and advices.
Priorities:
      * Finish the stub generation and start testing the generated
        clients. There is a possibility of automatically generating test
        cases for generated stubs. This would consist of generating RPC
        function calls with some predefined values and generating RPC
        server code much like MIDL_BENCH/DRAZEN_SVC RPC service. But
        this is a lower priority.
Notes:
PIDL is written in PERL which gave me a headache during our first
encounter. With all its nasty syntax and lack of code documentation it
took me a while to hack it. Know I see that PIDL is pretty well
programmed as it offers me a way of generating msrpc code with ease. For
all you PERL dudz out there I would very much like to here some
criticism considering my perl programming. I checked out PIDL from
SAMBAs GIT repository and copied it into my "nmap-exp/drazen" directory.
So one can download the  current NMAP module for PIDL from:
svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/drazen/var/PIDL

I checked out the code and it's awesome that you were able to add NSE
output with just a little bit of code.

What do you think is the best way to replace the msrpc.lua function with
PIDL-generated functions? msrpc.lua has a lot of RPC functions like
srvsvc_netsessenum and samr_enumdomains that look like they would
correspond to separate IDL files. Maybe just generate them all in
separate files and copy them into msrpc.lua?

David Fifield