Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap ping scan (with fixed digit) produces unreliable results

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:23:50 -0600

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 08:11:57PM +0200, Peter Van Eeckhoutte wrote:
I was trying to find a way to make nmap ping hosts on my networks,
using a fixed digit

Let's say I want to ping all hosts ending in .3

I have tried

nmap -sP -v 192.168.0-255.3
nmap -sP -v 192.168.*.3

Both actions seem to trigger echo requests, but nmap returns that most (or all) of these hosts are up (which is not
the case)

Are you sure that they are echo requests? If these are LAN hosts then
Nmap will be using ARP scan. See
http://nmap.org/book/man-host-discovery.html. Try running with
--packet-trace to see what is being sent.

There may be some network device that is responding to the ARP requests,
making them appear "up" from Nmap's perspective. Try using the --send-ip
option to disable ARP scan and see if you get different results.

David Fifield