Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] http Library Enhancements/Strategy

From: Marc Ruef <marc.ruef () computec ch>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:04:37 +0200

Hello,

I am currently developing a nmap nse port of my httprecon project (requested in [1], first announced at [2], actual screenshot at [3]). I will publish an article series about nse hacking at [4]. After finishing the series I will release httprecon-nse. Feature requests and feedback is always welcome!

During the development I did rely on the http library very heavily. It was a surprise to see that the whole 3xx redirects are not handled within the library. All the http scripts need to implement the feature themselves:

* At the moment html-title.nse is providing a neat implementation. Re-directs to other hosts/ports are detected properly (which is a requirement in professional testing due to limitation of confirmed targets). * On the other hand http-malware-host.nse uses a quick hack which may lead to false-positives: Only the status code is compared. Bbecause no further requests are initiated, this is no "danger" for the target site.

Wouldn't it make sense to provide a redirect identification within the http library? I would prefer a function that returns the new url as string. Additional optional arguments could prevent access outside the target host/port.

Furthermore, I would appreciate a generic function for generating and sending http requests. The definition of the target host, target port, method, resource, protocol and additional headers would be great.

Regards,

Marc

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/673
[2] http://www.computec.ch/projekte/httprecon/?s=news