Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Nmap on Android

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:23:24 -0500

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:52 AM, luke jeter  wrote:
Assertions, assumptions, and questions:
As far as I know, Nmap does not have any wifi, Bluetooth, or NFC detection
capabilities - please correct me if I'm mistaken. I know there are a number
of other tools that perform these functions quite well, but after two years
of working with a 7" netbook screen and a few weeks with an Android device
I've become a big proponent of all-in-one gui solutions rather than trying
to switch between applications. Just to confirm, I'm assuming that this type
of device detection is frequently done when one is also doing Nmap scans?
More importantly, would it fall within the scope of the Nmap/Zenmap project?

Nmap doesn't do any detection at all.  It relies on the OS to tell it
what is installed and doesn't really care if the interface is Wireless
or Wired.

The next obvious step would be to implement scans for these protocols, and
again the primary question is whether or not it would fall inline with
Nmap's goals. Rather than create the discovery and scanning code from
scratch, would a better implementation alternative be to create Zenmap
plug-ins? (A Kismet plug-in for Zenmap, for example.)

IMHO, adding Wireless scanner functionality directly to Nmap would be
adding unnecessary complexity and bloat.

It would be feasible to make it another tool like ncat, nping, and
ncrack.  If that would mean getting a Kismet-clone running on Windows
(Nmet, perhaps?), I would be all for that.  Actually, that would be
awesome.

The biggest problem I can think of is that the Wireless drivers on the
system dictate much of the interaction.  There isn't a standard set of
tools to directly manipulate the Wireless adapters.

For Ethernet we've got libpcap / winpcap to translate for us.  There
isn't a universal equivalent for Wireless that I know of that would
handle things like channel-hopping and power settings.

Kismet and NetStumbler don't support every Wireless adapter.  They
only support specific adapters they are programmed to understand.

Nmet would be fantastic, but I don't see how it could be easily cross-platform.

-Jason