Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Nmap on Android

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:46:50 -0600

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 12:52:37AM -0600, luke jeter wrote:
Because I'm interested in helping to bring Nmap to Android, I've spent a
little time contemplating the following question: If I were a network
security professional, how could Zenmap and my fancy new phone help me do my
job? Since I'm merely an *aspiring* network security professional I'd like
to throw the following little fictitious scenario out to the community for
an assessment of just how accurate it might be:

Cartman is an executive at a local bank branch and considers himself very
tech-savvy (by bank branch executive standards). He has been personally
involved in setting up a wireless network at the branch and has also managed
to sync his phone's contact database with the branch's client list. One of
Cartman's friends, Kenny, is a local CS grad student who recently helped the
branch implement a user-authentication system that uses customers' phone's
NFC capabilities at the teller window (a bit vague and very contrived, I
know, but the details and usefulness aren't important to the storyline).

I arrive, for whatever reason you'd like, to conduct a network security
audit of the branch. I pull out my shiny new Nexus One, and tap the Zenmap
icon. I then tap the 'target' combo box and up pops a list of all of the
wifi access points and devices within range of my phone's antenna. I scroll
down and discover a listening Bluetooth device that I can identify as
Cartman's phone. Because I'm familiar with what's been happening within the
branch, I've positioned myself at the teller window and can also detect the
bank's available NFC device. At this point I can select any of the
discovered targets, or designate my own, and I can select an appropriate
profile from the corresponding drop-down and proceed to conduct my scans.

Assertions, assumptions, and questions:
As far as I know, Nmap does not have any wifi, Bluetooth, or NFC detection
capabilities - please correct me if I'm mistaken. I know there are a number
of other tools that perform these functions quite well, but after two years
of working with a 7" netbook screen and a few weeks with an Android device
I've become a big proponent of all-in-one gui solutions rather than trying
to switch between applications. Just to confirm, I'm assuming that this type
of device detection is frequently done when one is also doing Nmap scans?
More importantly, would it fall within the scope of the Nmap/Zenmap project?

You're right; Nmap doesn't detect wireless networks. I can see the
utility in seeing a list of access points when you start Zenmap. We'd
need more specifics on how this should actually work, because these
wireless things are on a different level than the IP level at which Nmap
usually works. For example, there may be two WAPs with the IP address
192.168.0.1. To scan 192.168.0.1 requires extra information beyond the
IP address, which would probably require a separate step before scanning
proper began.

Giving wireless devices special priority in the Target box makes sense
for end-node devices, but not so much for things like access points. In
the latter case you're probably at least as interested in the hosts
connected to it. So instead of picking a wireless device as a target, it
might be better to allow you to associate with one, and then do a normal
Nmap ping scan for host discovery.

The next obvious step would be to implement scans for these protocols, and
again the primary question is whether or not it would fall inline with
Nmap's goals. Rather than create the discovery and scanning code from
scratch, would a better implementation alternative be to create Zenmap
plug-ins? (A Kismet plug-in for Zenmap, for example.)

I guess that's a reasonable implementation. I would prefer not to
restrict any non-graphical functionality only to Zenmap, though.

David Fifield