Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: scanning an AS

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:37:09 -0500

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 02:31:56 -0700 Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
As Brandon notes, in many cases you may not want to scan every IP in
an AS.  But sometimes you do, and even when you don't it can be a good
starting point.  So it would be nice to have a script which could
output the IP ranges for an AS, and then you could filter/review them
before running Nmap again with -iL and your target list.

I see this as similar to the way we have a script for doing zone
transfers, which you may review/filter and then pass to a new Nmap -iL
execution.

[...]

  "I regret saying this before I say it, because I'm imagining
   implementation difficulties, we should think about having such
   auxiliary scripts be able to do things like host discovery, and
   then let the following phases work on the list it discovers."
It seems like it isn't just once-per-scan scripts that want to feed IP addresses back into the scan. What about doing a
zone transfer then scanning the hosts returned? Or doing a DNS subdomain bruteforce and scanning the hosts returned?
Etc?

In every case, including AS, the user would probably want to edit the hosts before doing the actual scan (especially to
verify that they actually have permission to scan them. For that reason, rather than doing a feedback loop (that may
result in issues like we saw with --interactive), why don't we have an option for scripts to create a "discovered
hosts" table that's output in -iL friendly format? Then any script that discovers hosts (whether it's from DNS lookups,
dumping the ARP table from SNMP, etc) can add to the pool of discovered hosts, perhaps with a comment on where it came
from.

Exactly how it would look in the end, I'm not exactly sure. The user would likely have to run Nmap again with the list
of hosts (maybe Zenmap could automate the process?), but it would be fairly simple compared to what it is currently.

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org