Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: scanning an AS

From: Michael Pattrick <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:54:35 -0400

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:48:22 +0000 Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
wrote:
It does sound cool.  I think spending the time to do the lookup
yourself will actually save a lot of time in the long run.

For example, if you look up insecure.org you find it is routed out
AS8121.  When you look up that AS you find they route 65792 IPs.  Do
you ever want to scan more than a /16 when you started with a target
of one or two hosts?

Here's a more extreme example.  If you look up UCSD you find out we're
AS7377.  When you look up our ranges you find out we route 17,057,024
IPs.  I can understand wanting to scan all of the IPs for an
organization but scanning all IPs for their AS is generally not what
you want.

Brandon

Yeah, you're absolutely right. If it's non-trivial, it's probably pointless to implement. But if it's something that
can be done reasonably easily, it might be a "wow cool!" type of feature to add.

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org

The asn-query.nse script uses a service provided by team-cymru[0]. But
I don't believe they provide a reverse(asn->ip) look up service.
Regardless, I doubt many people would use or even understand that
feature. Furthermore Nmap doesn't handle extremely large scans well
and I imagine many users would run into very large ranges going by
ASN.

-M

[0] http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/ip-to-asn.html