Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap as a network mapper

From: Adrian <abelmontemartin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:13:35 +0100

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM,  <mjanmart () student fundp ac be> wrote:
Hello,

I'm a student in computer science in the FUNDP in Belgium. I'm doing a
project who monitors the network of a company and shows how much packet they
exchange and how long they stay online. Its goal is to show that a lot of
people keep their computer up when they're not at work and that it's not
eco-friendly. Moreover, the company looses money because of that behaviour.

You're probably wondering why I tell you all that. I have also to make a map
of the network of the company to "show" to a "non-computer scientist" a more
simple interface like "computer always up are in red, computer always down
are in green". I have a virtual lab and I really don't know if/how I can use
nmap to map it. I saw Zenmap had an interface that could do such things but
it doesn't work when I try to map my local network.

Nmap is capable to show you if a computer or a number of computer (ie:
a network)  is alive or not
and if its up, try to determine open ports and SO and versions of
programs running in that host.

So it would be useful for you, but maybe you would need any program to
capture packets and get some kind of statistics or use a passive
fingerprintings program.

Have you got any hints or links you could send me explaining how a network
mapping is performed?

I hope I did send this mail to the right address.

regards,

Max.