Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap as a network mapper

From: mjanmart () student fundp ac be
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:20:49 +0100

Hello,

I'm a student in computer science in the FUNDP in Belgium. I'm doing a project who monitors the network of a company and shows how much packet they exchange and how long they stay online. Its goal is to show that a lot of people keep their computer up when they're not at work and that it's not eco-friendly. Moreover, the company looses money because of that behaviour.

You're probably wondering why I tell you all that. I have also to make a map of the network of the company to "show" to a "non-computer scientist" a more simple interface like "computer always up are in red, computer always down are in green". I have a virtual lab and I really don't know if/how I can use nmap to map it. I saw Zenmap had an interface that could do such things but it doesn't work when I try to map my local network.

Have you got any hints or links you could send me explaining how a network mapping is performed?

I hope I did send this mail to the right address.

regards,

Max.