Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: your mail

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:13:30 -0700

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 01:19:58PM +0530, dattatray sawat wrote:
respected sir,

                I am using Tata indicaoms wireless modem for internet.
                     while scannig from my computer i got folloeing error

WARNING: Using raw sockets because ppp0 is not an ethernet device. This probably won't work on Windows.
pcap_open_live(ppp0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the device
specified. (20).  Will wait 5 seconds then retry.
pcap_open_live(ppp0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the device
specified. (20).  Will wait 25 seconds then retry.
Call to pcap_open_live(ppp0, 100, 0, 2) failed three times. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The system cannot
find the device specified. (20)
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating system:

will nmap work on WLAN ?

It probably won't work under Windows with your wireless modem. You can
try the --unprivileged option to use normal sockets. You won't get all
features, like OS scan and traceroute, but you can still port scan,
script scan, and do version detection.

David Fifield