Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: DNS broken in 5.21

From: Simon <nmap-dev () the-jedi co uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:32:06 +0100

On 01/28/2010 08:06 PM, David Fifield wrote:

[snip]
Thanks for checking this out. At least, it may help future web
searchers. Can you tell what function call is leading to that connect?
My guess is that it's gethostbyname but it could be something else.

It is quite a strange error. As I said, Nmap is just doing
gethostbyname. Ncat uses getaddrinfo for all its name resolution, so
that may be the difference.

I've  got a bit more info now - just tried 5.00 from the fedora
repositories on a 64-bit f12 laptop and it doesn't have the problem, and
also doesn't have nscd running.

I installed the 5.21 rpm from insecure.org and its broken now, so i'd
say its probably a packaging thing.

If its not packaging, then the error is from gethostbyname() in
TargetGroup.cc

Simon.