Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Latest dist v5.2

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:56:20 -0600

On 01/21/2010 10:04 AM, Ron wrote:
On 01/21/2010 09:59 AM, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
The other option is to tell the a/v vendor to cut it out, but I can't
see
that working. :)

Actually, this is pretty much the only option. Sysinternal's psexec
occasionally gets flagged as a virus along with other legit things
like upx-compressed executables because malware also use them.

That's free / open source for you, right?

You have to let the vendors know they are triggering false positives.

It's up to them if they care or not.

Well, the alternative option is to distribute it separately so Nmap
proper doesn't trigger the aignature.

Another alternative, that Patrik mentioned to me, is to encode/encrypt the .exe on our side then decrypt it in memory before uploading.

On one hand, it's sort of the best of both worlds. On the other hand, evading antivirus has that malicious feeling to it..