Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Quake 3 query script submission

From: Mak Kolybabi <mak () kolybabi com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:50:21 -0600

On 2010-01-17 23:26, Fyodor wrote:
Nice work, Mak! Have you thought about dropping the MASTERS list and always
querying the open ports on target machines directly? If Nmap version detection
does not detect these games, perhaps a new probe and match lines (see
http://nmap.org/book/vscan.html) are in order to do so. And once the service
is detected, unless I'm missing something (I only did a quick browse of the
script) you should be able to query it with your query() function in the way
you do now. That is the approach Nmap takes in similar cases, and it avoids
having millions of Nmap users bang on ghdigital.com and other 3rd party
servers.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into version detection/probes instead
of using the master servers.

--
Matthew Anthony Kolybabi (Mak)
<mak () kolybabi com>

() ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org  | Against proprietary extensions