Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for Docs

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:31:54 -0700

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:49:34AM -0500, Michael Pattrick wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk> wrote:
The recommendation to fix the issue, however, might be more complicated as
there are several ways of doing it: run Nmap/Zenmap at least once using Run
as Administrator, or modify a registry key and reboot, or run the command
"net start npf" using an elevated Command Prompt. I wouldn't like to
recommend that people always run Nmap/Zenmap as Administrator.

Attached is a small program which will run 'net start npf' from an
elevated command.

Michael, that was very helpful. Having Nmap run that ShellExecute
function makes the UAC dialog appear and load NPF. I found that it works
even without the full path to net.exe.

From Wireshark I found the way to check if NPF is already running. I've
committed code that starts NPF with ShellExecute only when necessary. It
seems to work well. The UAC dialog appears the first time you run the
program, and doesn't after that.

David Fifield