Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for Docs

From: "Hans Nilsson" <hasse_gg () ftml net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:50:09 -1100

On Windows Vista this is what I get (although it's not the latest
version):

"
Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-01-14 11:31 Västeuropa,
normaltid

Warning: Hostname www.google.com resolves to 6 IPs. Using 66.102.13.105.

dnet: Failed to open device eth4

QUITTING!
"

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:17:56 -0800, "Fyodor" <fyodor () insecure org> said:
On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:56:53AM -0800, Richards, Toby wrote:
I humbly suggest that the "Executing Nmap on Windows" section of your web
site (http://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-exec ) include the
following information: If on Windows 7, you must right-click the Zenmap
icon, and select "Run as Administrator" even if you are logged on as an
administrator. Similarly, to run Nmap on Windows 7, you must open the
command prompt with administrator privileges. While there are multiple ways
to do this, one way is to right-click the command prompt shortcut, and
select "Run as Administrator." Even if you already are logged in as an
administrator, failing to follow these instructions will result in an error
that Nmap cannot identify the Ethernet interface.

Hi Toby.  Thanks for your suggestion.  I would like to figure out what
is causing this issue, as I don't need to follow these steps on my
Windows 7 system (Home Premium X64 running under VMWare).  I tried
Nmap 5.10BETA2 with the default install options, and with the "start
NPF on system startup" option unchecked.  I tried both Zenmap and
command-line Nmap, with reboots between them to insure that Winpcap
loaded from an earlier run doesn't affect a later run.

There must be something different in our Windows 7 configurations.
Can you post the exact error message you receive when running Nmap
without taking these extra steps?  While adjusting the documentation
is important, it is even better if Nmap itself can detect the error
and tell users what to do.

Has anyone else here experienced this issue?

Cheers,
Fyodor
  Hans Nilsson
  hasse_gg () ftml net