Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL) library and scripts

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:26:12 -0500

On 03/28/2010 08:58 PM, Fyodor wrote:
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 07:54:59PM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
OK, I guess I'll be the first to actually argue :)

Well I think I agree with your "argument" :).  I'm not suggesting we
go wholesale combining scripts with different purposes just because
they talk to the same service.  My suggestion relates to scripts which:
 o Talk to the same service
 o Their whole function is to query that service for information and
   report it.
 o Belong to (or can be made to properly belong to) the same
   categories

I think I came off a tad the wrong way in my last email :)  I was speaking
moreso on script combination in general than based on any presumption of what
you had in mind.

I think combining scripts can be a good thing, as long as it's done the "right
way" wrt overall code maintainability, functionality, and with thought for
future script additions.  I believe I covered all of these, but I think my
"argument" comment may been inadvertently misconstrued... I meant "argue" more
as poking for more information and pointing out where there be dragons :)

I have
manually removed scripts which shared categories with previous ones in the
list (do correct my list if I made a mistake!).

In so doing, you have removed all of the scripts I would want to
combine :).

Well that's good news then :)

I see the benefits of the combination as:
<snip>
But I also see advantages to individual scripts, particularly in cases
where:
<snip>
I hope that makes sense.

This does make sense, and I think these are good things to think about.

Only combine them if the categories are similar?  I don't know how
you can have a file with mixed categories or how you could possibly call it
from --script.

Right.  Scripts which are different enough to require different
categories are probably different enough to remain separate.

Indeed.

Please note that I'm not saying don't combine any scripts!

And I'm not saying we should combine all the scripts :).

As I mentioned, my use of script length was not related to the actual
combination of every script in those groups, but rather I was hoping to show
that since there will be more scripts in the future using these protocols then
we can get some big combo scripts, especially _if done poorly_.

I suppose I was trying to get to this question: What will you do if more
scripts are written in the future which are similar--and if they existed now
you would combine them--but a future script it's similar to has grown largely?
 Add it anyway under observation?  Keep it separate even though it's related?
 Split the large one into two combos?  I don't know.  I was saying "be
careful" because someone 3 or 5 years from now may suggest splitting scripts up :)

If dragons are avoided and the ideas you listed are pondered on, I don't think
combos are a bad idea :)

Cheers,
Fyodor

Cheers,