Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Unmask Parasites. Blog.] "Dynamic DNS and Botnet of Zombie Web Servers"

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:12:11 -0600

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 05:39:29PM -0500, Ron wrote:
(Note: I've included both the blog author and the Nmap mailing list in
this email)

This is in response to this blog post:
http://blog.unmaskparasites.com/2009/09/11/dynamic-dns-and-botnet-of-zombie-web-servers/

I wrote a script to detect this botnet behaviour. Unfortunately, I don't
have time to test it properly. Right now I'm looking for any server that
responds with a 302 to that particular file, but not other files. I
tested it against a couple servers I found, and it seems to work nicely.
I wrote it really quickly, though, since I'm running late.

I've attached the script. You'll have to:
a) Update to the latest Nmap SVN version
b) Put my script (attached) in the /scripts folder (where the other .nse
files are)
c) run:
nmap --script=http-infected <host>

It should return the fact that the server's infected, and also where it
is redirecting to.

I'm going to be away from my computer till later tonight (~5 hours or
so). Please, if anybody can test this and let me know if it's working,
that'd be great!

What hosts should we be testing? I don't have a list of possibly
infected hostnames. I ran the script against my server and got "appears
to be clean" for ports 80 and 443.

http-infected is a vague name. What other types of things do you see
this script checking for in the future?

David Fifield