Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack: -iX, -iN input from Nmap

From: Dirk Loss <lists () dirk-loss de>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:32:30 +0200

Fyodor wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 07:28:38AM +0200, Dirk Loss wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
Maybe it's time to do another search for a suitable XML parser?
TinyXML:  http://www.grinninglizard.com/tinyxml/ (zlib)
Mini XML: http://www.minixml.org/                (LGPL)
Pico XML: http://kd7yhr.org/bushbo/pico_xml.md   (LGPL)

Thanks for the links!  Zlib is a fine license.  LGPL may be OK in some
cases when there are no other alternatives.  I have nothing against
the LGPL, it just has a lot of gotchas and compatability issues which
must be reviewed and considered before such code is used.  For
example, you have to comple the LGPL code as a shared library rather
than linking it staticly in some cases.

Mini XML has a special exception to the LGPL which allows static linking:

"1) Static linking of applications to the Mini-XML library does not constitute a derivative work and does not require the author to provide source code for the application, use the shared Mini-XML libraries, or link their applications against a user-supplied version of Mini-XML."

http://www.minixml.org/documentation.php/license.html

Just out of curiosity I did a "wc -l $(ls *.c* | grep -v test)" on these libraries:

libXML2 v2.7.3:  189837 lines
Mini XML  v2.6:   12253 lines
TinyXML v2.5.3:    3659 lines
Pico XML  v0.1:     664 lines (578 lines without the pico_dump test app)

Regards
Dirk