Nmap Development mailing list archives

Ncrack: -iX, -iN input from Nmap

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:11:02 +0300

Hello people.

I just finished implementing two new options for Ncrack: -iX and -iN.
These options let the user specify the attacked targets/services using
Nmap's XML and Normal output files correspondingly. Ncrack is going
to parse Nmap's output file and will see which ports are open and to which
hostnames/IP-addresses these ports correspond so that
it uses these as its targets. In addition, if Nmap's version detection
is enabled, Ncrack is also going to use this additional info to crack
services that listen on non-default ports. For example, there might
be a SSH Service listening on a port other than 22, which Nmap's version
detection is probably going to detect. That information is stored in Nmap's output
files and is consequently used by Ncrack to deduce which module to use for
those non-default-port services. If a service is not supported by Ncrack's modules,
it is going to be ignored.

I have tested both options against a variety of files, however more testing
is going to be needed, especially with the -iN option since Nmap's -oN format
is more loose than the XML one.

Of course, Nmap's normal output format might change in the future and if these
changes are that drastic, it might be required that Ncrack's -iN parser be
adapted as well. I would like to know if you think that this is worth
the trouble.

As usual, you can checkout the latest Ncrack changes from the official
SVN repository at svn://svn.insecure.org/ncrack .

Cheers,
ithilgore