Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: pjl script updates

From: rilian4 rilian4 <rilian4 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:13:21 -0700

Hi Aaron, sorry for the late response. Please do post the scripts to the
list. For the particular purpose of printer model identification, I
think the PJL queries make more sense as -sV service probes than as NSE
scripts. I am curious to see the exact syntax that you used and compare
it to probes that Brandon Enright has prepared.

My turn to apologize for the delayed response. I have been on
vacation. Attached is pjl-model.nse. It is a simple script that sends
the PJL model command and displays any response.

The idea is, if these probes don't cause pages to be printed on any
models of printer, to stop excluding the printer ports by default for
version detection.

I have tested against several models and so far none of them printed a
page in response to my probe.

Apart from the limited scope of determining the model or version number,
which I think should be in nmap-service-probes, I would be interested in
seeing what other information you can get from printers.

I have another basic script that is not fully hashed out that returns
the page count on the printer.

My PJL documentation shows several other interesting possibilities as
well. An Example is the INFO command which is invoked for my model
script. It can display model, memory, configuration variables, page
count, etc. You can send PJL commands to read the file system on the
printer, if any, and monkey w/ it. You can send the ECHO command which
is like a PJL ping. It sends a string to the printer and the printer
is supposed to return the same string back if it is working correctly.
Basically you can monkey w/ just about any setting on an HP laserjet
printer through PJL(and some of the commands work on non HP printers
as well) and we know NSE can send PJL so that leaves it open.

If you are interested, I can email you a copy of the PJL docs I am
working with(I'd point you to the URL but I don't have it bookmarked.
I downloaded the PDF and saved it and it was not easy to find).

Any feedback on the attached script or my previous Ready Message
script is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron