Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: pjl script updates

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:45:00 -0600

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 09:12:52AM -0700, rilian4 rilian4 wrote:
(Sorry about not being able to reply directly to the thread but I had
to switch email accounts for the time being.)

I am happy to say that since I upgraded to nmap 5.0, my
pjl-ready-message script is running w/ much faster response times to
the 5si printer I was testing against. I have since tested a few more
models as well w/o running into any timeout issues. Interesting note
is that the 5si apparently includes a TAB character w/ in the RDYMSG
string reply to the probe I send where the other models do not. It
shows in the output as something like "Ready   " instead of "Ready"

I have since developed another proof-of-concept PJL script that
returns the model of the printer. I tested it against the HP 4100
series, the 5si and against a lexmark optera I have access to.

example results look like this:

PORT     STATE SERVICE
9100/tcp open  jetdirect
|_ pjl-model: LASERJET 5Si

PORT     STATE SERVICE
9100/tcp open  jetdirect
|_ pjl-model: HP LaserJet 4100 Series

9100/tcp open  jetdirect
|_ pjl-model: Lexmark Optra S

The script is not fully documented yet but it seems to run well and run fast.
I am more than happy to post it to the list if anyone is interested.

Hi Aaron, sorry for the late response. Please do post the scripts to the
list. For the particular purpose of printer model identification, I
think the PJL queries make more sense as -sV service probes than as NSE
scripts. I am curious to see the exact syntax that you used and compare
it to probes that Brandon Enright has prepared.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0545.html
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0560.html

The idea is, if these probes don't cause pages to be printed on any
models of printer, to stop excluding the printer ports by default for
version detection.

Apart from the limited scope of determining the model or version number,
which I think should be in nmap-service-probes, I would be interested in
seeing what other information you can get from printers.

David Fifield