Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack doesn't recognize 401 responses other than "Authorization Required"

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 00:33:39 +0300

David Fifield wrote:
Hi,

I tried using Ncrack to crack the default admin:admin password on my DSL
modem. I added "admin" to the password list but it wouldn't work. The
problem is that Status-Line sent by the modem is

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

but Ncrack is always looking for the literal string

401 Authorization Required

I edited the source code to match the modem's responses and the
authentication was cracked successfully. The Reason-Phrase
"Authorization Required" doesn't have any formal meaning so Ncrack
should look only for a Status-Code of 401. (RFC 2616 section 6.1.1.)

Thanks. Fixed.

Another oddity is that after Ncrack had wrongly detected that the
service didn't require authentication, it didn't just quit, but it
continued to send HTTP_INIT probes (with no authentication) for all the
authentication pairs.

Indeed, this hasn't been yet implemented. While the module reports that it should end,
the Ncrack core engine doesn't currently do anything to stop the service.
Good thing you reminded me, so that I fix this soon.

Regards,
ithilgore