Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Contributing to Nmap development

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:32:21 -0600

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 05:17:28PM +0600, Ravipriya Thushara wrote:
Thanks lot for all for helping me. I'll give main priority in my project to
 o [NSE] Add DNS based service discovery script.

After that script is done I'll try to work on Zenmap development and
some other Lua scripts with the time I have. even after my project,
I'll contribute to Nmap development.

Tomorrow I'll write the project proposal and I'll send a copy to here also.
Then I have to begin coding. Still I'm trying to learn whats happening in
Nmap and learn its basics in it's code and scripting.

I'll be glad if you can send me some more details on
o [NSE] Add DNS based service discovery script. and some places to
read and learn about it. Also I like to know some more ideas on scripting.

First see my original sketch of an idea at
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/0786.html. Then read the DNS-SD
spec at http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd.txt,
especially section 9 that covers the "_service._dns-sd._udp.local"
probe.

For building and decoding the DNS packets you will use the dns module:
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/dns.html.

This is how I picture the output of a first version of this script:

# nmap -F -sU --script=dns-sd 192.168.0.190

Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-09-21 11:26 MDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.190:
Not shown: 98 open|filtered ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
123/udp  open  ntp
5353/udp open  zeroconf
| dns-sd: _ssh._tcp.local _sftp-ssh._tcp.local
MAC Address: 00:16:CB:AE:D4:AC (Apple Computer)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 3.26 seconds

Producing this output should only take one probe and a few reads. When
the script can do this we can commit it and add additional functionality
such as follow-up probes to find out port numbers.

David Fifield