Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Safe and Intrusive Category confusion

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 01:45:47 -0500

On 09/19/2009 01:41 AM, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Also, I think we need to be more strict with category assignment
(possibly construct a more thorough description and requirements
document?) before acceptance into the trunk, just like NSEDoc. Some
scripts have only one category when they could fit in several (and
some are in the wrong categories, like ssh-hostkey.nse).

I agree. Honestly, when I actually remember to assign categories (as opposed to forgetting to change the the ones in the script I cp'ed), they're usually pretty random, and entirely based on gut feeling. I don't really have a strong understanding of why I should pick certain categories, I normally just look at similar scripts and copy theirs.

I definitely think more strictness and better description is required.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/