Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA9 on Windows XP - error "Invalid targethostspecification:"

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:59:34 +0100

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 05:15:20 -0600, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
wrote:
I just packed up my Windows computer so I can't do it just now, but
surely someone else on this list can verify that commas don't normally
split up the argument list on Windows.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert>nmap -sV -p 22,53,110,143,4564
xxx.xxx.xx.xx

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA9 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-06-23 13:37 GMT
Standard Time
Interesting ports on xxx.xxx.xx.xx:
PORT     STATE  SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp   open   ssh     OpenSSH 4.7 (protocol 1.5)
53/tcp   closed domain
110/tcp  closed pop3
143/tcp  closed imap
4564/tcp closed unknown
MAC Address: 00:07:E9:xx:xx:xx (Intel)

Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at
http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.22 seconds

Seems to work fine for me on an XP SP3 box of mine. Also worked fine from
another XP SP3 box using 4.85BETA4. I don't know why Dennis is getting this
issue, but it doesn't appear to affect any of my Windows hosts that I use
for scanning. It has to be an environmental issue, but I don't know offhand
what could be causing it. I might try changing my regional settings in a
bit, to see if I can reproduce it, but I don't think the regional settings
are meant to affect the command line. It might be worth changing directory
to the location of nmap and running nmap.exe (instead of "nmap") just to
make sure that the correct executable is launched, and not something like a
batch file that then runs the executable.

Rob