Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r12765 - nmap/docs

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:28:37 -0600

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:47:32PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
+o Consider whether we should include some sort of NSE debugger.  Or we
+  could include something simpler.  For example, some developers (such
+  as Ron) already make use of Patrick's traceback.nse in their
+  experimental trees.

One of the nice things about the new Lua script engine is a developer
can _very_ easily change the engine to include new debugging output
without recompiling the nmap. I think there is room for more standard
debugging info (such as outputting a stack trace when a script
finishes) to be added throughout the NSE scan but I think we should
encourage developers to add their own personalized debugging output
directly to the engine.

I hadn't thought of this benefit of nse-lua. Even users running from a
Windows or Mac OS X executable installer could hack nse_main.lua and do
their own debugging. I also think just having access to debug.debug
would be nice. I think Nmap's taking control of the TTY is the only
obstacle to that?

In my experience on my linux boxes,  you can use debug.debug but will
not see any of your input characters. Nmap changes the tty settings to
not echo stdin to stdout.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant