Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r12765 - nmap/docs

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:59:25 -0600

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:47:32PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
+o Consider whether we should include some sort of NSE debugger.  Or we
+  could include something simpler.  For example, some developers (such
+  as Ron) already make use of Patrick's traceback.nse in their
+  experimental trees.

One of the nice things about the new Lua script engine is a developer
can _very_ easily change the engine to include new debugging output
without recompiling the nmap. I think there is room for more standard
debugging info (such as outputting a stack trace when a script
finishes) to be added throughout the NSE scan but I think we should
encourage developers to add their own personalized debugging output
directly to the engine.

I hadn't thought of this benefit of nse-lua. Even users running from a
Windows or Mac OS X executable installer could hack nse_main.lua and do
their own debugging. I also think just having access to debug.debug
would be nice. I think Nmap's taking control of the TTY is the only
obstacle to that?

David Fifield