Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible new device categories for service detection

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:15:42 -0700

I finished reviewing device-types.txt and making the revisions I thought
were appropriate. I tried to put the descriptions in a form such that
they are ready to drop into the documentation. I'd like you (anybody) to
check it out and make any further revisions.

I don't know what to do about the hub category. There's just one member
of it, but it is unambiguously a hub and not a switch or router. If we
don't anticipate getting more hubs then I guess it can go in
specialized.

I made a list of my suggested changes at the bottom of the file. They
are

* Move X-ray machine (2) to specialized.
* Move cluster (3) to specialized.
* Move projector (3) to media device. I didn't find any projectors
  miscategorized as "specialized".
* Move encryption accelerator (6) to proxy server.
* Move web server (2) to general purpose or specialized.
* Put Ethernet-serial bridges in the "bridge" category.
* Put the http-proxy matches in nmap-service-probes into the "proxy
  server" category if they are from a dedicated proxy device. Some of
  them are "security-misc" currently.
* Merge VoIP gateway into VoIP adapter.

David Fifield