Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible new device categories for service detection

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:47:04 -0800

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 03:42:20PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:47:23PM +0000, doug () hcsw org wrote:
OK here are the definitions I've been using for the device types
in the service probe file. Note that these don't include device
types found only in the OS DB. Maybe David can fill in those
ones (if there are any aside from "broadband modem").

I found these that are in nmap-os-db but not in nmap-service-probes:

Nice.  And I like your addition of total number of instances (in
nmap-os-db + nmap-service-probes) for each entry.

I'll start reviewing the file and making changes. I think the way to go
is to set up device-types.txt to represent the way we want the
classifications to be, then fix up the databases to match.

Great.  I agree on that.

Cheers,
-F