Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] A Lua implementation of NSE--detailed review

From: "Patrick Donnelly" <batrick.donnelly () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:57:38 -0700

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Patrick Donnelly
<batrick.donnelly () gmail com> wrote:
I originally intended to set it up so that the userdata would replace
the tables, but there would be problems with complexity and backwards
compatibility. The main motivation for the userdata approach is NSE
will have easy access to the host and ports for each thread. In
particular, timeouts and script output are more easily set. We could
_not_ expose these userdata to the scripts and make the totable()
method do all the work (that is, remove the other bound methods such
as HostName()). I got the impression though that users want access to
the internal data for these Targets and Ports [1], and userdata with
methods seemed like the best approach. While the "access" is mostly
redundant considering the garbage tables, the new userdata allow us to
easily bind other methods a script writer may need.

Sorry, that [1] should have referred to [2]:

[2] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/0537.html

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant